Monday, December 7, 2009

I invite you to follow me to Denmark.

Do you want up-to-the-minute news on climate change, international political negotiations, and environmentally friendly dance parties? Then follow me to Denmark!
On Saturday, December 12th, 2009, I will arrive in Copenhagen to observe COP15 - the 15th United Nations Conference of the Parties. At this conference, world leaders will attempt to negotiate an international treaty to address the problems of climate change.  Thousands of activists, NGO representatives, and student observers like me will also gather in Copenhagen to pressure politicians, discuss solutions, and learn more about the international politics of climate change. 
The two-week conference begins today, December 7th, and ends December 18th, and I will be there from the 12th to the 18th. Over the course of the week, I will have the opportunity to observe political negotiations, panel discussions, and some presumably massive civilian protests. I will also most likely get to meet with the California Delegation to the conference, and possibly the US Delegation. I've also been told that there is an ocean protection-themed dance party called "Ocean Motion" that I can't miss. I will keep you updated on all these events as they happen.  
My focus in Copenhagen will be on feminism and indigenous cultures as they relate to climate change. I plan to attend panels such as "Using Inuit Knowledge in Climate Change Decision Making," hosted by the Inuit Delegation, and "Women as Agents of Change," hosted by the Iceland Delegation. I will infuse this blog with all the information I gather. 
I am attending COP15 with twenty-three fellow UCSB students, representing the UCSB Environmental Affairs Board (EAB)  and the Earth Island Institute.  You can check out the EAB blog at http://eabatcop.blogspot.com to see posts from our entire delegation. 
More info coming soon! Thanks for reading, and please contact me with any questions or recommendations.
- Natasha



2 comments:

  1. Hey natasha, it's awesome that you're going to the UN summit, make sure to watch out for the CO2 Cube! My company Obscura Digital did all of the animation and projections that will be displayed there. Hope you have fun!

    -Zak Douglas

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds great ... I'll definitely be reading!

    ReplyDelete